Please select your area of interest below...
  • Why should you consider working with CELL?
    The Center for Excellence in Leadership & Learning (CELL) is committed to meeting the distinctive education and training needs of each customer.
  • How can I become an instructor if I have expertise to share?
    UVI CELL instructors are either members of the University's faculty or highly qualified persons in the community.  If you have experience teaching or would like to share your expertise, fill out the instructor application and the course proposal form and return the completed documents to our office.

Instructor Application Course Proposal Form

  • Where can I find additional course information?
    Fill out the Request more info form if you would like information to be sent by mail or call (340) 693-1100.

Request More Info Form

I'm not familiar with some of the terms for non-credit courses, what's the difference?

  • Prerequisites are preliminary skills or knowledge that must be acquired before enrollment in a course. This generally refers to a particular course or courses that must be taken before another course.
  • Credit Courses are those which can be used for a degree, even if a student does not want to earn a degree.
  • Noncredit Courses are professional development or personal enrichment courses that can be used to upgrade skills, further your career and goals. Noncredit courses will not count towards a degree program.
  • CEU or Continuing Education Unit is a nationally-recognized unit of measurement for a variety of noncredit programs applying toward relicensure, promotion or career advancement. CEU credit is not applicable toward degrees, credentials or credential renewal.
  • Certificate Programs are designed for individuals seeking in-depth knowledge and competency in a specialized area, but who do not need a degree. With segments building upon one another, these programs utilize a creative blending of theory and practice for effective learning. Some programs offer optional academic units. Others offer continuing education units (CEUs). Upon successful completion of a program, a certificate is awarded.
  • Certification requires you to meet certain eligibility requirements in order to enroll in a specialized program. Certification usually involves testing upon completion and is conferred by an outside agency.



  • What are CEUs?
    The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a nationally recognized unit of measure for noncredit continuing education programs. It is used to document learning that differs from the traditional academic learning experience and has become vital as a means of determining the value of a learning experience in continuing education and training.
  • What programs are eligible for CEUs?
    • Professional continuing education programs and in-service training for specific audiences
    • License renewal programs
    • Seminars
    • Workshops
    • Short courses
    • Paraprofessional training programs
    • Certificate programs
  • What type of programs are not eligible to receive CEUs?
    • Social events
    • Athletic events
    • Programs casually related to educational objectives
    • Entertainment
  • Does it cost for CEUs?
    Yes. A CELL registry fee of $15 per student is required in addition to fees associated with the specific course or program.
  • How do programs qualify for CEUs?
    For a specific program to be eligible for approval of CEUs, the program must meet the following criteria:
    1. sustainable partnership
    2. educational direction, and
    3. qualified instruction
    Each of the three elements listed above is an integral part of the concept of developing an educational experience that is significant enough to be recorded on the permanent individual record of each participant.
    • The program must fulfill a specific educational need
    • The purpose and objective of the program is stated in clear and concise terms
    • Qualified instructional personnel should be directly involved in providing the educational experience
    • Specific performance requirements for the awarding of CEUs are established prior to program implementation
    • Evaluation procedures are determined during the planning of the program
  • How are CEUs calculated?
    One CEU is defined as ten (10) contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience.
  • How long does it take for programs to qualify for CEUs?
    If the correct information is provided, programs are usually approved for CEUs within two weeks of submission to the CELL office.
  • Where are my CEUs registered?
    The UVICELL Center provides the services of maintaining a permanent registry. CEUs are recorded and maintained in the CELL office by the CELL Registrar.
  • How can I assess the quality of programming?
    The University of the Virgin Islands recently began issuing CEUs and is working to assure the quality of the national criteria in establishing those guidelines as the accepted standard of measure for all continuing education programs.
    These nationally adopted criteria are applied and adhered to all program design and activities accepted by the UVI CELL Center.
    The University of the Virgin Islands will work to help you meet your educational needs. We will also work with other professional certifying associations to help you achieve continuing education hours in your field.
  • Can I get financial aid for noncredit courses?
    Some employers offer tuition assistance or tuition reimbursement programs. Check with your employer for detailed information. Financial aid (loans, deferred payment plan) is available for some online certificate programs.
  • Do I have to pay the entire registration fee for my courses?
    Full payment of a course fee is due at the time of registration for noncredit courses and programs.
  • Are noncredit courses the same as the "regular University" courses?
    No. Regular University courses are called credit courses, and apply toward a degree. Noncredit courses are geared specifically toward skill enhancement of the participants.
  • Do I need to apply to the University to take noncredit courses?
    A formal University application is not required. Simply complete a registration form and submit it with payment. Enrollment in many programs is limited and early registration is recommended.
  • What kinds of noncredit courses can I take as a lifelong learning student?
    You may take any course we offer. Some courses require completion of certain prerequisites prior to enrollment.
  • When are courses offered?
    Noncredit courses and programs are on-going throughout the year, and do not necessarily follow the University's academic calendar.
  • How do I find out the time courses are offered?
    Course times are published with each noncredit course offering. Additionally, information is included on your registration form.
  • Do you need to see previous transcripts, SAT scores, or high school grades in order to register for noncredit courses?
    No. You can begin taking courses as a Lifelong Learning student at any time. For some programs such as certificate programs, you will need to show evidence that you have met the prerequisites for the course. If you have questions or concerns regarding prerequisites, contact the office at (340) 693-1100.
  • How do I find out my grades?
    For noncredit coursework in which a grade is given, grades will be posted to the student's account following course completion. For certification courses, scores are computed by the certifying agency. Students are notified if they have successfully passed the exam. 
  • Can I obtain a noncredit transcript?
    Yes. You can receive an official copy of your educational record which usually reflects credit and grade information for any course work taken through CELL. Please contact (340) 693-1100 for assistance.  Click to download the Transcript Request Form. 

Transcript Request Form

  • How long does it take to complete a Certificate Program?
    Programs vary based on the length and the requirements necessary to complete each program.
  • May I take one course without being enrolled in the Certificate Program?
    Courses may be taken individually. However, priority will be given to students enrolled in the full Certificate Program.
  • Where and when are Certificate Courses held?
    Most courses are offered in the evenings and on weekends on the university campuses.
  • Who can enroll in a Certificate Program?
    Enrollment is open to community participants and advanced students who can benefit from specialized university study. Formal university application is not required. Simply complete a registration form and submit it with payment. Students interested in enrolling in Certificate programs may also need to meet prerequisite requirements. Enrollment in many programs is limited and early registration is recommended.
  • Why take a Certificate Program?
    Certificate Programs help participants broaden their knowledge and skills, increase their chances for promotion, expand career options, and provide opportunities for examining a new field. It also documents skills in a specific discipline.
  • How do I register for a course?
    Registering for a UVI CELL course is easy. Simply obtain a registration form, fill out completely and return the form with payment.  Click to download the registration form. 

Registration Form

  • When is the deadline to enroll in a noncredit course?
    Students must register at least FIVE working days prior to the start of a course to avoid a late registration fee of $25. Full payment must accompany the registration form to ensure your space in the class. Once payment has been made, you will be sent a confirmation.
  • I need help registering.  Is there someone that can help me?
    Certainly.  Please call (340) 693-1100 and any member of the team will be happy to assist you. You may also stop by the UVICELL office for assistance in setting up an account.
  • Do I need to mail in a registration form?
    We have gone paperless and all registrations will be processed online.
  • Can I register now and pay later?
    No.  Payment is required by credit card at the time of registration.  Companies wishing to pay by check or purchase order may call (340) 693-1100 for assistance in setting up a corporate account.
  • Can I pay by check or cash?
    Online registration requires a credit card.  If you wish to pay by check or cash, please feel free to stop by the UVICELL office so we may assist you in the registration process.
  • Will I get a registration confirmation?
    Once you complete your registration online, a confirmation will be emailed to the account you provided.
  • What if I did not receive a confirmation in my email?
    Check your email junk filters or login to your account and check that you entered the email correctly.
  • What if I can't remember my email or password?
    On the login form, click on the link under "forgot your password."
  • I already have a UVI student account, do I need to create a new one?
    Yes.  This is a separate registration system for non-credit programs.
  • How do I update my information?
    Under "MyAccount" select "Update Profile."
  • How do I know if my class is canceled?
    We will email and call students using the contact information provided upon creating their account. In case of inclement weather, please check the UVICELL homepage at
  • Where can I purchase the books?
    Books are included in your enrollment fee. Books are also available for purchase if you wish to add them to your personal library. Contact our offices for information on book fees.
  • Can I drop a course?
    Cancellations must be made in writing five working days prior to the start of the course. Notification can be sent by:
    • Fax: (340) 693-1115
    • Email:
    • Mail: University of the Virgin Islands * The Center for Excellence in Leadership & Learning (CELL) * #2 John Brewers Bay * St. Thomas, VI 00802
    Students dropping a course during this period will receive a full refund with the exception of a $25 processing fee.
  • What is the refund policy?
    Students who cancel during the five working day period will receive a refund. Cancellations made after the five day period are not eligible for a refund.
  • What about class cancellations by the University?
    Occasionally, classes may be canceled if student enrollment levels have not been met. When this occurs, pre-registered students may elect to transfer their fees to another course or request a full refund. UVI CELL makes every effort to notify students of course cancellations in advance of the first session.