As part of the enrollment process, all incoming students will be required to take college placement exams. Proper placement in the critical courses of reading, writing, and math helps to ensure student success and allows you to advance more quickly to your degree goals. Placement testing is required before you can enroll in any writing and/or math class.
To review score requirements, find out about exemptions or schedule an appointment for the placement exam, click here.
Please note that testing will be conducted in a new location:
#23 A Hospital Street
Frederiksted, St. Croix
UVI - St. Thomas Campus
*IMPORTANT* Placement testing registrations MUST be completed a minimum of 48 hours before the desired test date. NO WALK-INS WILL BE ACCEPTED. A copy of the confirmation email WILL BE NECESSARY as proof of registration as seats are limited for each session.
How to Register
- Determine when you can take the test and make an appointment. You must register at least 48 hours prior to your desired test date. To schedule an appointment,click the "Register Now" button below. Select which testing site you will be using (St. Croix or St. Thomas). Select your desired session and add it to your cart. Please note that walk-ins will NOT be accepted.
- Plan to take the test at the earliest possible date. Test sessions closer to the beginning of the term are usually more crowded and availability is limited to the operating hours of the Testing Center and availability of computer stations. Special note: Assistance is available to students who have a disability or require special accommodations. Please notify the Placement Testing Center staff at (340) 693-1100 (St. Thomas) or (340) 692-4230 (St. Croix).
- Review the study guides. Students are highly encouraged to review the study guides, sample practice tests, and other helpful online resources before taking the test. The practice tests contain multiple-choice questions that are similar to those on the test. Students tend to feel more comfortable and do well when they know what to expect on the test.
- Review important information. The tests are computer-based. A valid picture ID and UVI student number are required. A copy of the confirmation email will be necessary as proof of registration as seats are limited for each session. Calculators are NOT permitted in the math placement test.
- Arrive early. Arrive at least 30 minutes early for your appointment. No outside calculators, dictionaries or cell phones are allowed in the Testing Center. The Placement Testing Center is located at the UVICELL Center on the St. Thomas Campus and at the UVICELL Center in Frederiksted, St. Croix.
Tips for Taking the Placement Exam
- Take the placement test seriously. Your placement test results will determine into which classes you are eligible to enroll. Retesting is limited, so do your best the first time.
- Study and review the subjects you are testing. Studying and reviewing may help improve your placement results, particularly for math which you may not have recently practiced.
- Familiarize yourself with the type of test questions that are found on the tests. Sample test questions are available on the links below. Knowing the format of the test questions can help you relax and concentrate during the test.
- Get a good night’s sleep and have a light meal or snack before arriving to the test session. The English and Math test will take approximately 2 hours. Being tired and/or hungry could hurt your performance in any test session. Take the test at a time when you are usually most alert.
- During the English and Math tests, work carefully. The exams are computerized. Read and re-read the questions carefully, and check each answer before submitting it. This will result in the highest possible course placement.
Math preparation guide
Reading and Writing Resources
Placement Testing Informational Flyer
Not sure what to do next? Click here to check out the New/Transfer Student Checklist.