College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations are offered in over 33 subject areas and cover material generally taught in introductory college-level courses. Students take CLEP exams to demonstrate their competency in a particular subject area in order to bypass a course. CLEP exams are computer-based, consisting mainly of multiple-choice questions. Scores are generated and provided at the completion of each exam, except for those with essays.
For a listing of UVI courses that are eligible for CLEP, please visit the University of the Virgin Islands page.
To Schedule a CLEP Exam:
- Register for the exam. Go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/register/exam and create an account to register for the exam. CLEP exams are $93 each and must be purchased in advance with a credit card. After selecting an exam and paying online, you will receive a payment receipt and a Ticket ID. Print and bring the CLEP Ticket ID with you on the day of your exam.
- Schedule an appointment at the Testing Center. You can now schedule your appointment and submit the NON REFUNDABLE administrative fee of $30 per exam online via credit card. Visit our registration page to select your desired date and time. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday and are located at UVICELL Center - UVI Campus, Innovation Center (Library, 2nd floor), St. Croix, and UVICELL Center (Faculty East) on the St. Thomas Campus. For directions, to either location, call (340) 692-4230 on St. Croix or (340) 693-1100 on St. Thomas.
- Submitting cash payment. A NON REFUNDABLE administrative fee of $30 per exam must be paid to the UVICELL Center. Cash payments can be submitted directly to the UVICELL Center (St. Thomas Campus Only) or the UVI Cashier. The UVI Cashier is located on the Albert A. Sheen Campus on St. Croix and the Administration and Conference Center (ACC) on St. Thomas. NOTE: If the fee is paid to the UVI Cashier, please submit a copy of the receipt to the UVICELL Center by the corresponding registration deadline.
- Receive Confirmation: Once registration has been completed and payment has been submitted, you will receive an email confirming your exam date and time.
- Review Important Exam Day Info. Prior to your scheduled exam, review the important Exam Day Info at https://clep.collegeboard.org/exam-day-info. Pay very close attention to the ID requirements and items required on exam day.
- The fee for each CLEP exam is $93. Students must pay CLEP directly. For CLEP registration information, please go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/register/exam.
- There is also a NON-REFUNDABLE test administration fee of $30 for the 90-minute exam. For both campuses: Test fee is paid at registration. For other payment options, contact the UVI CELL offices.
- Late registration: If seats are available, students registering after the deadline will be required to pay a $10 late registration fee in addition to the $30 administration fee. NO SAME DAY WALK-INS ALLOWED.
- Scores can be viewed immediately after the exam.
- Official results are mailed out from CLEP directly to you and the institution specified at the time of the test.
- For more information on CLEP scores go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/about/score.
Online registration is now available. View our registration page to select dates and submit payment for the CLEP exam.
Exam Day Info
Note: All test takers must check-in by the designated arrival time (which is 30 minutes prior to the actual test start time). Late arrivals will not be allowed to enter the test site and will forfeit their non-refundable administrative fee of $30.
Please be prepared to bring the following with you on your exam day:
- A valid registration ticket from the CLEP Registration Portal.
- A valid ID that contains your name, photo and signature. Acceptable forms of ID are: Passport, Driver's License, State ID, National ID, Tribal Card, Naturalization Card/Certification of Citizenship, Military ID and Green Card with signature and photo.
- Headphone or ear buds for language exams.
Please go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/exam-day-info for additional Exam Day information.
Remember, you should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your exam time. LATE ARRIVALS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SIT FOR THE EXAM.
Effective October 17, 2014, testers will have to wait three (3) months before retaking the CLEP exam. Tests taken within the three (3) month period are considered invalid. The scores of premature testing will be canceled and all related test fees are likewise forfeited.